If there’s something strange in the neighbourhood and it doesn’t look good, then Midnight Ghost Hunt is the game you’re gonna call.
Developed by Vaulted Sky Games and She Was Such A Good Horse AB, this spooktacular team-based multiplayer game is a fresh spin on the FPS genre. The closed beta for the ghoul-filled experience took place recently, offering a glimpse of the madness to come. Here’s everything you need to know about Midnight Ghost Hunt.
When Does Midnight Ghost Hunt Release?
Currently there is no release date for Midnight Ghost Hunt following the closed beta. However, it is expected to drop in 2022. For now, you can keep an eye out for the next beta phase.
What Is Midnight Ghost Hunt?
Midnight Ghost Hunt is a multiplayer horror game that pits asymmetrical teams against each other in 4v4 matches of scaretastic fun. There are two sides to experience: Hunter and Ghost. Hunters will have the task of rounding up the spectres causing chaos. Ghosts, on the other hand, will need to disguise themselves as ordinary objects while preventing the Hunters from making it out alive!
The Hunters have until midnight to ensure the job is completed, otherwise all hell will be set loose.
Team Hunter Objectives, Weapons, Gadgets, And Perks
Hunters have one primary objective: find and eliminate all Ghost threats! It's not the easiest job, but someone has to do it. If the clock ticks past midnight, however, you’ll need to survive long enough to make it out, otherwise you’ll be joining your foes in the afterlife.
To survive till your evac arrives, you’ll need to ensure the generator is intact. This is crucial to changing your loadout, as it can grant items such as the Defibrillator to revive fallen teammates.
You’ll have plenty of weapons at your disposal. Here’s what you can use to make sure those pesky Ghosts stay in their ethereal world:
Spectral Cannon: Standard issue for any worthy Hunter. Don’t cross the streams.
Project X: A machine gun with a great firing rate. Be careful not to overheat it!
Harpoon Bazooka: Trap Ghosts in place with this useful tool! It’ll shock your enemies for a short time, so try and get your teammates to help in the process.
Reaper: This is Midnight Ghost Hunt’s take on the Sniper Rifle. It’ll fire a small dart that explodes three seconds later. Definitely worth a try.
Ghostsmasher: The Ghostsmasher may lack a punch, but it's enough to get you out of a pinch. A solid melee weapon.
Sledgehammer: Packing more punch than the Ghostsmasher, the Sledgehammer is essential for breaking objects and revealing the locations of Ghosts.
Salt Shotgun: Your best friend for Anti-Ghost goodness. Fires salt shakers for a knockback effect.
Frostbite: Slow Ghosts down with this freezing take on an SMG.
Aside from your arsenal of Ghost-blasting weapons, you’ll also need gadgets to aid in your mission.
Radar: The Radar will only give you a rough sense of where your foes are, so don’t rely on it too much.
Spectrophone: You’ll only be able to detect if a Ghost is in front or near with this gadget.
Pathfinder: Ghost footprints will be visible for 30 seconds with this gadget, use it wisely!
Vacuum: Clean up Ghost shards to prevent them from coming back before midnight.
Trap: Hold Ghosts down in place and prevent them from possessing others. If broken, get another at the generator.
Grenade: A grenade you can cook before throwing to damage any ghosts in the vicinity.
Defibrillator: Use it to revive fallen teammates, but watch out for any ghosts hiding nearby.
Grappling Hook: Fling up and across maps – great for maps with a lot of verticality.
C4: Explosives that can be attached to both props and ghosts. Detonate them for massive damage.
Lightweight: Move faster but become more fragile in the process.
Juggernaut: Gain more stun resistance and health, but you’ll be far slower.
Cold Blooded: This perk allows you to stay hidden through walls, but be careful, Ghosts that get up close can still see you!
Healing Aura: Heal teammates and, more importantly, yourself.
Extended Mag: Stay stocked up with additional ammo.
Extra Gear: Gains extra Gadgets before needing to revisit the Generator.
Quick Reload: Reload faster than ever before.
Team Ghost Objectives, Abilities, Haunts, And Perks
Ghosts will need to hide in the first segment of the game, then prevent the Hunters from escaping with their lives during the Midnight phase. These foes from the afterlife can use props to inflict damage on Hunters, but will do less damage before midnight. Stay hidden, be smart, and co-ordinate your attacks! Ghosts can use the Shrine to change their loadout at any time during the match.
Your main abilities. Used to trick or damage Hunters as they chase or flee from you.
- Phantom: Slip away from Hunters for a short time with this cloaking ability.
- Spirit: Time to fly! Transform into a spirit orb to fly briefly.
- Miasma: Damage Hunters and their traps with this deadly mist.
- Doppelganger: Who are you? Clone a Hunter and take on their form, but be cautious, as attacking will reveal your true nature.
- Poltergeist: Make an object floating menacingly. It will then attack a Hunter if they approach it.
- Corruptor: Corrupt objects that are currently unpossessed, causing them to explode on impact.
- Apparition: Fool Hunters with a fake Ghost during battle.
- Trickster: Move a Prop to a desired location instantly.
- Telekinesis: Throw a Prop at a player to cause damage.
- Death Grip: While this can be seen by Hunters, if used well, this trap can hold Hunters in place.
Haunts only activate once a ghost has been eliminated. You’ll be able to move through the map and target the opposing side from the after-afterlife.
- Chill: Scare Hunters with a chill, slowing them down in the process to allow a quick getaway.
- Cold Spot: Manifest false radar readings to keep Hunters at bay.
- False Trail: Create false footprints that can be seen on the Pathfinder.
- Medium: Use ‘area voice chat’ to fool Hunters and distract them.
- Push Object: Push objects to damage and scare Hunters.
- Health Orb: Spawn a healing orb that your teammates can use.
- Hallucinate: Play distracting Ghost sounds that can mess with the Spectrophone.
- Shove: Shove Hunters into objects or even off ledges!
- Ghostly Reach: Increases your possession range.
- Ecto-slow: Less visibility on a Hunters Radar. Doesn’t affect footprints.
- Shatterproof: Prevent objects (small and medium) from shattering on impact when moving.
- Heavyweight: Objects are more durable but don’t grant a damage boost. Good for aggressive players.
- Ghostly Focus: Shorter cooldown for your Haunt abilities. Does not change your possess or attack stats.
- Perception: See Hunters and Traps through walls during the Midnight Phase. Hunters with the Cold Blooded perk can only be seen up close.
- Untrappable: Reduce the time it takes to get out of a trap.
Glutton: Revive Ghosts faster and consume the souls of Hunters quicker.
Article author: Sam Comrie is a journalist and filmmaker based in Sheffield, UK. When he isn't causing chaos in Just Cause 2, you can find him listening to Foo Fighters on repeat 24/7. Seen at NME, Red Bull Gaming, From Gamers Magazine, and JumpCut PLAY.